April 15, 2016
Howell, NJ: 40th Anniversary of Archbishop Averky (Taushev’s) Repose
commemorated at Diocesan Center
Wednesday, April 13, clergy and faithful gathered at the
administrative center of the Eastern American Diocese in Howell, NJ,
to prayerfully commemorate the 40th anniversary of the repose of
Archbishop Averky (Taushev) of Syracuse & Holy Trinity, a
distinguished hierarch of the Russian Church Abroad, theologian and
church author, and longtime rector of Holy Trinity Seminary in
morning, Metropolitan Hilarion of Eastern America & New York
celebrated the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts in
St. Alexander Nevsky Diocesan Cathedral, co-served by vicar
Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan and diocesan clergy: Protopresbyter
Valery Lukianov (dean of New Jersey), Archpriests Serge Lukianov
(diocesan secretary), Petro Kunitsky (cleric of Holy New Martyrs of
Russia Church in Brooklyn, NY), and Alexandre Antchoutine (dean of
Long Island & the Hudson Valley), Priests Seraphim Chemodakov
(cathedral cleric) and Serge Ledkovsky (deputy rector of St.
Vladimir Memorial Church in Jackson, NJ), Hieromonks Tikhon
(Gayfudinov; cleric of the Synodal Cathedral of the Sign in New York
City) and Yeliferiy (Skiba; cleric of the Church of our Lady "The
Inexhaustible Chalice" in Brooklyn), Priest James Dougherty
(diocesan cleric), Protodeacons Nicolas Mokhoff (cleric of the
Synodal Cathedral), Leonid Roschko, and Paul Drozdowski (cathedral
clerics), and Deacon Vladimir Barros (cleric of Holy Virgin
Intercession Church in Glen Cove, NY). Faithful gathered from across
New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania to honor the memory of
Averky (in the world Alexander Pavlovich Taushev) was born on
October 19, 1906 in Kazan’, Russia, to an aristocratic family. After
1920, the Taushevs found themselves exiled, and the future
hierarch’s youth was spent in Bulgaria. In 1926, he graduated from
the Russian school, and in 1930 received a degree in Theology from
the University of Sofia. He was a student of Archbishop Seraphim
(Sobolev – glorified on February 3, 2016). He served in Carpathian
Rus’, Hungary, Yugoslavia, and Germany, and taught Law of God in the
Displaced Persons camps.
In 1951, at the invitation of Archbishop Vitaly (Maximenko),
Archimandrite Averky moved to the U.S., where he became a professor
at Holy Trinity Orthodox Seminary in Jordanville, NY. In 1952, he
became the permanent rector of the seminary, and the editor-in-chief
of "Pravoslavnaya Rus’"
("Orthodox Rus’") magazine. He was an academic and theologian,
author of renowned exegeses on the New Testament.
August 17, 1961, he was elevated to Archbishop of Syracuse & Holy
Trinity. From 1964 on, he served as a permanent member of the Synod
of Bishops of the Russian Church Abroad. He reposed on April 13,
1976, and is buried in a crypt beneath Holy Trinity Cathedral at
Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville.
Upon completion of the Liturgy, Metropolitan Hilarion – who served
for several years as cell attendant to Archbishop Averky during his
rectorship at the seminary – addressed the clergy and faithful with
a sermon. His Eminence pointed to the example set by Archbishop
Averky, and called on those present to follow that example in their
lives and service. The hierarchs and clergy then sang "Memory
Eternal" for the ever-memorable Archbishop.
Liturgy, all were invited to lunch, which was followed by a film, in
which Fr. Valery Lukianov shared many of his detailed recollections
with the viewers. Fr. Valery knew Archbishop Averky well, and worked
alongside him. Upon completion of the film, he shared more
interesting and spiritually nourishing facts about Archbishop
Averky’s life and service, calling him "a true laborer of the Church
Abroad," who "gave both himself and others the opportunity to leave
the earthly behind and connect with the spiritual."
Metropolitan Hilarion spoke on the final years of Archbishop
Averky’s life’s path, and recommended a book published in Russia –
"The Holy Hierarch Averky of Jordanville."
That evening, Bishop Nicholas led the reading of the Great
Penitential Canon in the diocesan cathedral.
Media Office of the Eastern American Diocese